Legal Aid

Harris & Harris can no longer offer to act for clients funded by Legal Aid.  This is because of changes in the types of cases for which it is available and the way in which it is being made available.  If your case might be funded by Legal Aid and you may be financially eligible we will tell you, but we will not be able to act for you.

Legal Aid is still available to help you pay for legal advice, family mediation and representation for a limited range of housing, debt, family or education problems.  You can also get legal aid if you’re accused of a crime.  Information about what legal aid is available can be found through this link.

Free legal advice is still available for a range of problems, on the phone, online, via enquiry forms or face to face.  There are other sources of legal advice online – some are reliable but some are not – we recommend contacting the organisations on this page.  There are also other specialist organisations that may also help, and they will refer you to these if appropriate.

You should also check whether you have Legal Expenses Insurance

Citizens Advice can help you with online advice and on the phone if you have a problem with Consumer Rights, Benefits, Debt and money, Work, Housing, Healthcare, Education, Relationships and Tax.

Call 0345 404 0506

Mendip Citizens Advice Bureau has offices in Wells, Frome, Glastonbury, Shepton Mallet and Street offering face to face advice and support.

Call 0844 411 1444

Civil Legal Advice (CLA) is a national service replacing legal aid which offers free and confidential legal advice on the phone or online if you are eligible for legal aid.

Call 0345 345 4 345

The Acas Helpline and website provides clear, confidential, independent and impartial advice to both employers and employees who are involved in an employment dispute or are seeking information on employment rights and rules.  You can use Helpline Online to ask a question

Call 0300 123 1100